Sunday 22 January 2012

The Shabby Chic Look

I love the shabby chic look.... anything with flaking paint, rusty metal and worn edges.
Euan always jokes with me that if something looks like it has seen better days then I want it and it has taken me years to convince him that the charm lies in the shabbyness and that I dont want him to sand it down for me!!
The trouble is that as much as I love that look, I think you really need the right style of house to make it work, otherwise things just look like they belong in the skip.
You need to have a period house with high ceilings and lots of space with a clean white interior as a backdrop. Am I wrong??







I have bought a few lovely things over the years that have paint flaking from them or are really rusty but in my cottage I can never find the perfect place for them.
And whenever I have found somewhere to put them that I am happy with, usually a well meaning friend or my mother-in-law spoils it by saying something like- "and when are you going to clean up/paint/strip/varnish that??" and then looks horrified when I reply that I have no plans to change it- I like it 'tatty.'
I dont really have anyone who visits my home who 'gets' a lot of the things I do with it-they think my home is strange I am sure. I think thats why I love blogland so much-I can always find someone who likes the things I do- actually there are hundreds of people who do!!

But for now, I think this look will be strictly enjoyed by way of pictures in books, blogs and magazines and not attempted by me.


www.dreamywhites.blogspot.com




Cant see any of my friends wanting to eat off that table!!!


1 comment:

  1. What a pretty collection of photos. I like the chippy look too, as long as it doesn't get too feminine. I think you're right though, you need a certain kind of house to pull the look off :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving comments.........its nice to know that someone reads the blog xx